Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Deutologalgia (or Secondbookitis)

In a bit of a private conversation madbomber asked me "Is it wierd to be considered a professional writer now...?" to which I answered:

"As to being "professional", an "author" and all that - yes it is weird. Indeed, I think my struggle through the entirity of Book 2 (Lamplighter) has been coming to grips with seeing myself as a writer, as being able to truly consider book writing as an actual future path for me. Not only was it the 2nd book in a series (always the hardest, they say) but it was my second book ever (which is also historically difficult).

So my troubles were doubly doubled!

Very glad to be nearing the end of the Book 2 journey, many folk have worked hard to make it as good as can be - and [just so you all know] it is off to printers soon."

I would just like to say to all those who have taken the risk to come along on this whole MBT journey with me even when the rest of the series is not done yet: thank you. I intend to make it worth your while.

...btw, anyone tried the AUDIO CLIP function under links yet? It is a brief excerpt from the English audio version of Foundling. Opinions? Is it even working? For those speakers of the German tongue, there will be a Deutsch audio version of MBT coming soon.

Huzzah!

7 comments:

madbomber said...

Gday mate,

I've just experienced deja vu!

It must be a huge relief to be almost completing book 2, I can only imagine.

You can start worrying about book 3 now! ;)

cheers Bomber

PS
What is this audio commentary you speak of?

D.M. Cornish said...

Weird, ain't it...

Femina said...

Don't worry, mate, it's weird for those of us who knew you "way back when..." too. It's very very strange to think "this is the friend I have known for years... and people are sending him fan letters!" But it's strange in a great and wonderful way - we your friends are all so proud of you.

(....okay, and we love the fame-by-association aspect just a little bit too...)

madbomber said...

Gday mate,

I just located the link and yes it is working fine. Bit strange to hear an English voice over. Very wierd...

cheers Bomber

Greg Mitchell said...

Well, I've lurked here long enough. Just wanted to drop in and say "hey" and tell you that I thought the first book was fantastic and I can't even begin to express how excited I am about book two. I'm especially excited about more notes, definitions, and guides to the Half Continent!

Thanks for sharing your brilliance with the rest of us!

Greg Mitchell

D.M. Cornish said...

If you knew me you might say less of the brilliance and more of the weirdness :/ - I was reading an interview and review of your own new tome The Coming Evil, Book 1: The Stange Man. It is great to discover you and I share many of the same cultural roots, that I am actually not the odd-only-one, that in the often conservative land of Christians, there are others who dwell on the fringes.

... and thanks for the plug in that interview too, btw.

Anonymous said...

I s'pose 'Deutologalgia' (did I get that right?) is much like the infamous 'second album syndrome' that faces many bands and musicians that are new to the industry. No matter, I'm sure Lamplighter will be great.