Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"Is it May yet?"

Pertinent title provided by Kate, I myself am getting very impatient, but day by day we are getting closer to release.

Last post madbomber said: "As I read your post it occurred to me there aren't any cool kids in Latin class..." and it got me thinking, what is cool anyway? Now, I have never been "cool", surprise surprise - except in the art room. By this I mean I have never fit with that fickle bunch of alpha kids lording over the rest at school. But then there were always levels, the sporty cools, the smoking, Dead Kennedy's listening cools (almost made it with these fellows, learnt lessons about being true to myself here), the funny, sassy cools.

And what is cool in the adult world? I mean, one of the defining characteristics of the 'nerds' at school was/is their passion, their love and devotion to something more that looking unaffected and detached and wearing the right things. In adult life this seems to often grow into success, so do the nerds become the 'cool' ones (if cool is measured in professional success)? Does nerdiness become coolness once you grow up? Or is it that as you get on you reconcile that 'cool' and 'nerd' are just nonsense and get on with life as you find it as best you can?

I think I am rambling now...

Pete was asking: "I know you've answered this before, but I can't for the life of me remember what the answer was. How does one go about posting an illo with their character bio?"
I think the best thing to do for those of you interested would be to send me an image via email (which you will find in my profile). For those of you who do not know what we are talking about it is reference to a bunch of questions I posed late last year - feel free to answer if you like, I put up peoples' responses on the right just for a bit o' fun [TM]. and any illustrations of their character, if provided, hence the question from Pete.

I really am in a rambly frame of mind today - hope this bodes well for the day's word-count... this might give my US publishers some kind of heart-attack (ie not fast enough for them) but I am currently at 41,000 words for Book 3 as of penning this - my target being about 100,000. Getting there, getting there

BTW, I noticed a little while ago that li'l old MBT Book 1 got noticed on Muggle.net. Does this mean Rossamünd has made it? It is too early to be so cheeky, really, but this attention has set in me a notion to one day ask if Harry and Rossamünd would be friends if they met, and who'd win a fight between them. But this would be silly, not to mention presumptuous, so I won't (and mostly because I don't think I'll like the answer...)

16 comments:

Sturstein said...

Thanks for that info, David. An email should be waiting in your box as I type this. You were right, it is a tad fun!

In response to your rambling, I think for some time now adult world cool has been the domain of sport, film, and rock/pop stars. But I get the distinct impression they are now being eclipsed by designers; those imaginative people who provide monsters for on-screen heroes to fight, eye-catching T-shirts for rock stars to wear, video games, comic books, collectable toys... and these things are all (generally speaking) considered cool.

Fashion trends go around in circles, why not coolness? Perhaps we'll see a hearkening back to the days of old, when poets and artists were the talk of the town.

Of course, I speak as both designer and nerd, so it's probably all just my imagination. Or perhaps it's simply a case of the adults desperately clinging to their childhood. Serves 'em right for growing up in the first place.

Now I'm rambling.

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia, in all its information-spewing glory, defines 'cool' as:
"...an aesthetic of attitude, behavior, comportment, appearance, style and Zeitgeist. Because of the varied and changing connotations of cool, as well its subjective nature, the word has no single meaning. It has associations of composure and self-control and often is used as an expression of admiration or approval."

While Wiktionary tells us a nerd is:
"A person who, although having good technical or [academic] skills, is introspective and introverted."

But a geek is:
"A person intensely interested in a particular field or hobby, generally at the expense of broader social interaction."

I think that pretty much clears up every possible debate on the subject ever. Wikipedia again saves the day!

Anonymous said...

gday mate,

I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation of "cool". I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine and he reminisced about a kid at school that was a nerd, but because he hung around with older kids (that were also nerds) he was now "cool". This I assured him may have seemed the case to him perhaps but in reality he was still a nerd. We both agreed it isn't cool to hang around with younger kids however...

I forget who said it but, I love it when I do hear the common statement that nerds may be the weaker groups at school, but once they get into the real world it is them that has the power. For many of the reasons you state. The High School sporting star quickly fades into obscurity, whereas the latin studying, RPG'er becomes a world renowned success!

cheers
Bomber

Anonymous said...

One other thing,

Rossamund is so much cooler than Harry. I can't stand that kid!

;)

Bomber

Anonymous said...

It's so odd, seeing my name and "pertinent" with the "im" missing.

I've always been a staunch advocate of the "cool is a function of the beholder's personal priorities" viewpoint. Rather like beauty, really. I suspect that automatically precludes me from actually being cool, but you know, there are worse things in life.

And I don't know that I'd like to wager on the outcome of that fight. Sure Harry's got the magic but Rossamund is pretty plucky.

Drew said...

DM-
I dunno... Harry won on a technicality. Rossamund (in a few years) might surprise the Boy Who Lived.
all best,
Drew

Greg Mitchell said...

Unfortunately, Harry would win because he's got the magic. But, if it were a contest based on likeability, charm, and all-around niceness, Rossamund should win hands down. Harry is such a "oh, no one in the world understands what it's like to be me. Boo hoo." Rossamund, no matter what situation he finds himself in (at least so far, since MBT2 has yet to be released here!!) he remains optimistic, kind, humble, and helpful. I'd much rather have Rossamund around than Potter.

Drew said...

I agree with you, Greg. Rossamund is more consistently likeable than Harry. Even more important (to me), Rossamund succeeds in larger part from his own efforts, cleverness and resourcefulness than Harry does. For Harry, friends and mentors pave the way for him-- his personal successes are achieved rather late in the series (no earlier than book 4, really). He displays flashes of initiative but without Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore et al, he would never have made it to DEATHLY HALLOWS.

Which is why I think Rossamund is not only a stronger character but, in some ways, a better character.

Anonymous said...

But the actual question is who would win a FIGHT, yes?

And Harry, to put it bluntly, pwns all n00bs by the end of Deathly Hallows. However, by the end of Foundling, Rossamund was clearly not going to fare well in an epic battle like this, or any other sort of fight.

D.M. Cornish said...

Yeah, fair cop, Mr Guy-of-Moose, Mr. Mitchel, I have to aggree that runs on the board and a great big magic-zapping stick are definitely in THE Harry's favour (apart from the fact that, lets face it, my question was WELL premature...)

However, how might Harry go in the H-c with no magic to go lollying about with,hm? (Then again, how would Rossamünd go in our world? Depending on whether you have read both Foundling & Lamplighter might influence the answer... might not too).

Perhaps you are rig Kate, Drew and Mr. Mitchel, pluck and a winning smile might carry the day if the wind was blowing in the right direction.

Am I making ANY sense?

Anonymous said...

The problem Harry faces is that if you strip him of his wand he's not all that impressive. It all depends on the rules of engagement. If it's an unarmed battle then I'd say it'll be pluck for the win.

Of course my opinion is tainted by the fact that the "it's so hard, being Harry" thing drove me away from the series before I ever reached Deathly Hallows. I suspect my choice comes down more to who I want to emerge victorious.

Anonymous said...

gday mate,

I was re-reading Narnia for Uni last night and it reminded me that a magic wand is not enough to be invisible against an intuitive and daring adversary. I mean if Edward can disarm the White Witch then Rossamund wouldn't have any problems against Harry.

I'm thinking Rossamund could befriend a large army of Bogles and that would be it.

Rossamund King of the Bogles, and Wizard Slayer!

cheers
Bomber

Drew said...

I still think Rossamund has proven himself much more resourceful than Harry.

MooseGuy said...

Yeah, okay, I agree that if Harry didn't have the home-universe advantage it would be tough for him to say the least.

There seems to be a lot of anti-Potter sentiment around. True, he might be angst-ridden (but who isn't at times?) and the universe doesn't quite have the same cohesiveness or strong internal logic that MBT does, but...

Okay, I've sort of shot down my own argument (which is pro-Potter). Oh well, back to the drawing board.

D.M. Cornish said...

I'd just like to think Harry and Rosey would be buddies, or at best mutually respectful aquaintences.

Anonymous said...

mate,

where's the fun in that!?

bomber